Hear Him

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Beware of prayer!

Beware of prayer!

The parent-child relationship is a rich illustration of God’s relationship with us. I have many vivid memories of childhood. Maybe it’s because of this, that I have no problem understanding kids. Adults are a bit more complicated. However, being a parent for many years, brings with it fresh insights into the dynamics of our relationship with Father.

Father confronted me with such a fresh understanding of prayer, a few weeks ago. I had no problem asking Him for whatever I wanted, presuming my wants were pure. I’m convinced about His love and ability, and such convictions lead to great boldness. I simply presumed that if my requests were part of His will, He would grant them, and if not, He would deny them. Simple.
I think many pray that way: Ask for whatever comes to mind and if the prayer is answered, great, it was His will. If the prayer does not get answered, well good it was not His will.

Father changed this perception by giving me the following illustration.
When my children were small, I would decide regarding each of their requests, whether they were right or wrong, for their good or not. For instance, when they were 4 and 6 years old, they’d ask me for money to go to the candy store. Once or twice a week I’d grant it, the other times I’d use the opportunity to teach them on the importance of eating well.
Now that they are 12 and 14, I trust that they have developed enough good judgement to decide for themselves that candy is not the only food to be purchased, even if they have the means to. They ask for money occasionally and I seldom ask why, I simply grant it for I trust them. The responsibility for using it wisely now resides with them, not me. In a way I am granting them more ability to harm themselves!
Maybe you are maturing spiritually and Father is granting your requests without deciding whether they are right or wrong, but placing more of that responsibility on you. I am always available to my children for advice and sometimes I offer that advice without being asked.

Father showed me that when I was a toddler (spiritually), He took full responsibility for granting or denying my requests. Now that I am maturing He is placing more trust in my own judgement. He is therefore granting my requests even when those requests are not His perfect will for me! Remember when Israel asked for a king. It was not God’s will, yet He granted it!

He started showing me that I now had to be very selective in my requests for they would often be granted even when they weren’t for my good! That was quite a shock to me, to say the least.
When we become highly selective in what we ask of Father; when we determine to see from His point of view before we make requests, we are very seldom disappointed with unanswered prayer. Rather, we ask and we receive and our joy is full.

I now have much less requests of Father, but I have much greater success in answered prayer. Prayer is much more conversation, asking advice, just enjoying His company. Sometimes He asks me if there is anything I want!

By Andre Rabe
http://eclesia.blogspot.com

No comments: